Caroline is the Managing Partner of HJM Asia Law & Co. LLC. Based in Asia for over 15 years she has represented international corporate clients and banks in asset financing and M&A cross-border transactions in the Asia-Pacific Region. Caroline spent a majority of that time in China and Singapore, focusing on corporate law and commercial practice, an area in which she has built a respected expertise and understanding of the challenges and advantages of most Asian jurisdictions. She advises many European, Asian and North American clients on their legal structure, IP, HR and investments issues in various industries, ranging from manufacturing, technology, entertainment, agriculture, energy (oil, gas and mining) and services. Caroline graduated from McGill University with a BCL and LL.B degree and completed her studies at the National University of Singapore with a focus on Chinese law in 1998. Caroline is an arbitrator approved by the Chinese European Arbitration Center (CEAC) and a foreign arbitrator appointed by the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC).
Caroline has been featured in numerous magazines and newspapers, including Bloomberg, the Straits Times, the Business Times, Les Affaires and Coopérative d’achats stratégiques région de Montréal (Coop. CASI). Caroline is a regular speaker at many international conferences and has been a lecturer at Universite Laval (Canada) since 2010, where she teaches a 45-hour course on Chinese Law (www.fd.ulaval.ca) and has taught a week’s lecture series at the Sorbonne Assas Law School (www.sorbonne-assas-ils.org) on legal corporate structures, M&A and restructuring deals, IP, HR and tax in Asia. Caroline has also recently been selected as a Young Global Leader for the World Economic Forum.
- 2008 – Caroline was one of the three finalists of the Leadership award of the Quebec Financial Women Association. This award was for three women who made their mark as leader in the business and financial fields.
- January 2015- authored an article in the Canadian International Lawyer Journal, “Pointers and Tips When Negotiating Contracts with Chinese Companies”
- June 2014-2015- Contributed the China chapter for “Mergers & Acquisitions” 2014 edition published by Getting The Deal Through;
- March 2011-2015 – Contributed the China chapters on Fund Formation and Transactions in the 2014 edition of “Private Equity”, published by Getting The Deal Through (annual publication);
- November 2014- Caroline was profiled and interviewed for the M&A Market Intelligence, published by Getting The Deal Through
- 2012-2014- Interviewed various judges for the quarterly IPBA journal including Michiyoshi Kiuchi- Justice of the Supreme Court of Japan, Dieter Brändle- President of the Swiss Federal Paten Court, Honourable Justice Cha- Supreme Court of South Korea and Minister of National Court Administration, Honorable Chief Justice Thomas Bathurst- Supreme Court of New South Wales, Honorable Justice Susan Glazebrook- Supreme Court of New Zealand and Honourable Chief Justice Michael Hwang – DIFC Courts.
- November 2013- co-authored an article in the Canadian International Lawyer Journal, “Are Employees Protected in China? Or, What To Keep in Mind if You Intend To Hire Individuals in China”;
- November 2013- Contributed the China chapter to the Tax Litigation book by the European Lawyer Reference Series
- October 2013- an article in Primerus Paradigm Fall 2013, Development of the Data Protection in China;
- August 2013- Contributed Singapore and China chapters to Legal Aspects of Doing Business in Asia – 2nd Edition”by Juris Publishing;
- January 2013 – Co–authored an article in Primerus Paradigm Winter 2013, providing an overview of a foreign employer’s legal responsibilities when deciding to hire local and foreign emloyees in China;
- May 2012 – Authored the article: “Le marché chinois des produits pharmaceutiques et chimiques” in The Coopèrative d’Achats Stratègiques (CASI) Journal which looks at the pharmaceutical and chemical products in the Chinese Market;
- Caroline is also finalizing a book on Doing Business in China, to be published in 2016;
- Other publications can be found at our Publications page.
- Alliott Group (www.alliottgroup.net)
- Alliance of Merger & Acquisition Advisors (www.amaaonline.net)
- American Bar Association (www.americanbar.org)
- Canadian Alumni Singapore, Second Vice President
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong (www.cancham.org)
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Singapore, Member of the Executive Committee (www.cancham.org.sg)
- Canada China Business Council (www.ccbc.com)
- China Italy Chamber of Commerce (www.cameraitacina.com)
- Financial Women Association of Quebec (www.affq.org)
- Financial Women’s Association of Singapore (www.fwasg.org)
- Interlegal (www.interlegal.net)
- International Bar Association, Co-Chair of the Asia Pacific Forum and Publications Officer for the IP & Entertainment Law Committee
- International Business Law Consortium (www.iblc.com)
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association, Deputy Secretary General (www.ipba.org)
- Italian Chamber of Commerce in Singapore (www.italchamber.org.sg)
- Justinian Lawyers (www.justinianlawyers.com)
- Law Europe International (www.laweurope-international.com)
- McGill Alumni Singapore, President
- McGill Faculty of Law Advisory Board (FAB) Member (www.mcgill.ca/law/alumni/faculty-advisory-board)
- New York State Bar Association (www.nysba.org)
- Primerus, Chair of Primerus Business Law Institute of Asia Pacific (www.primerus.com)
- Union Internationale des Avocats (www.uianet.org)
- World Economic Forum, Young Global Leader (www.weforum.org)
You can contact Caroline at email@example.com