Caroline is the Managing Partner of HJM Asia Law & Co. LLC. Based in Asia for over 15 years she has represented international corporate clients and banks in asset financing and M&A cross-border transactions in the Asia-Pacific Region. Caroline spent a majority of that time in China and Singapore, focusing on corporate law and commercial practice, an area in which she has built a respected expertise and understanding of the challenges and advantages of most Asian jurisdictions. She advises many European, Asian and North American clients on their legal structure, IP, HR and investments issues in various industries, ranging from manufacturing, technology, entertainment, agriculture, energy (oil, gas and mining) and services. Caroline graduated from McGill University with a BCL and LL.B degree and completed her studies at the National University of Singapore with a focus on Chinese law in 1998. Caroline is an arbitrator approved by the Chinese European Arbitration Center (CEAC).
Caroline has been featured in numerous magazines and newspapers, including Bloomberg, the Straits Times, the Business Times, Les Affaires and Coopérative d’achats stratégiques région de Montréal (Coop. CASI). Caroline is a regular speaker at many international conferences and has also been a lecturer at Universite Laval (Canada) since 2010, where she teaches a 45-hour course on Chinese Law (http://www.fd.ulaval.ca).
- 2008 – Caroline was one of the three finalists of the Leadership award of the Quebec Financial Women Association. This award was for three women who made their mark as leader in the business and financial fields.
- November 2013- co-authored an article in the Canadian International Lawyer Journal, “Are Employees Protected in China? Or, What To Keep in Mind if You Intend To Hire Individuals in China”
- November 2013- Contributed the China chapter to the Tax Litigation book by the European Lawyer Reference Series
- October 2013- an article in Primerus Paradigm Fall 2013, Development of the Data Protection in China
- August 2013- Contributed Singapore and China chapters to Legal Aspects of Doing Business in Asia – 2nd Edition”by Juris Publishing
- March 2013 – Contributed chapters for China of Fund Formation and Transactions in the 2013 edition of “Private Equity”, published by Getting The Deal Through.
- January 2013 – Co–authored an article in Primerus Paradigm Winter 2013, providing an overview of a foreign employer’s legal responsibilities when deciding to hire local and foreign emloyees in China.
- May 2012 – Authored the article: “Le marché chinois des produits pharmaceutiques et chimiques” in The Coopèrative d’Achats Stratègiques (CASI) Journal which looks at the pharmaceutical and chemical products in the Chinese Market.
- March 2012 – Contributed chapters for China of Fund Formation and Transactions in the 2012 edition of “Private Equity”, published by Getting The Deal Through.
- Caroline is also finalizing a book on Doing Business in China, to be published in 2014.
- Other publications can be found at our Publications page.
- Alliott Group, Deputy Chair- Asia Pacific (www.alliotgroup.net)
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Singapore, Member of the Executive Committee
- Financial Women Association of Quebec
- Guangzhou German Chamber of Commerce
- Interlegal (www.interlegal.net)
- International Bar Association, Senior Vice-Chair, Asia Pacific Forum and Officer, IP & Entertainment Committee
- International Business Law Consortium (www.iblc.com)
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association, Chair of the Publications Committee (www.ipba.org)
- Italian Chamber of Commerce in Singapore, Appointed Legal Counsel
- Justinian Lawyers (www.justinianlawyers.com)
- Law Europe International (www.laweurope-international.com)
- McGill Alumni Singapore, President
- New York State Bar Association
- Singapore Financial Women Association